Dedicated Server.. Windows vs Linux

Hey guys!

I’ve been running a FiveM server on a Windows based VPS for a few months now, and we haven’t really run into any issues other than performance based ones, which I don’t necessarily consider the VPS at fault for. Personally, I think it’s just some bad scripts, so we are in the process of going through all of our resources and eliminating unused and poorly performing ones.

With that being said, we are also in the process of essentially rebuilding our server from the ground up, with new, more optimized and more feature rich resources. Which brings me to my next point, we are considering switching hosts, moving to a dedicated server at OVH. I know it’s probably overkill, but we may turn to hosting more than one server at some point, and we have the budget so we’re considering just preparing for this ahead of time.

My question is, would it be in our best interest to go ahead and switch to Linux during this transition or remain on Windows? I know there’s already several posts about this here on the forums, but most of them are pretty dated and the answers seem pretty mixed. Really just looking for an up to date answer on what the best option is for FiveM servers these days. We would also be interested in potentially hosting our website off of this same dedicated server. So what do we think these days? Linux or Windows?

Current VPS Specs
Host: Winstri Hosting
CPU: 4 vCore (E5 2690v2 @ 3.4ghz)
RAM: 8GB RAM
Storage: 150GB

Potential Dedicated Server Specs
Host: OVHCloud
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 - 4c/ 8t - 3.5GHz/ 3.9GHz
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 ECC 2133MHz
Storage: 2 x 2 TB HDD SATA Soft RAID

Thanks guys!

I am pretty sure that FiveM focuses on development for windows due to some restrictions with Linux, I am not 100% sure on that however it’s just what I have seen over the years. I would love to use linux however we had to switch to windows after multiple posts about how the windows performance was just better for fivem.